- Jewish Family Service Virtual Gatherings
- Free counseling for members of the Israeli community
- Resources & ways to help from Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans
- Counseling with JFS
- How to talk with your kids
Our board, staff, and volunteers are heartbroken and outraged as we learn more and more about the devastation wrought by Hamas’ Simchat Torah attacks on Israel. JFS stands firmly with Israel and the global Jewish community. We are ready to provide counseling and case management to the Jewish community, most especially the Israeli community in the Greater New Orleans area. We are working with our partners at the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans and other community stakeholders to assess needs and identify ways to help.
JFS Virtual Gatherings
Join JFS from 12 PM – 1 PM, Monday thru Friday for a community gathering. This virtual event is an opportunity to share your thoughts and concerns as well as connect with the community. A mental health professional from our staff will be present to provide resources for:
- Coping strategies
- Discussing recent events with children
- Having hard discussions with friends and family
- Protecting/enhancing your mental health
- Answering questions/concerns you may have
Free Counseling for the Israeli Community
JFS is offering free counseling to members of the Israeli community. If you are interested in speaking with a mental health professional, please call (504) 831-8475 and email Michelle or email email@example.com
We hope everyone in our community will seriously consider and monitor their mental health in the coming days and weeks. Please reach out to JFS if you believe you might benefit from speaking with a counselor. The mental and emotional toll of images, videos, new stories, and eyewitness accounts can be heavy and insidious. This is not to mention those members of our community with friends and relatives currently in Israel. If you are interested in speaking with a mental health professional, please call (504) 831-8475 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please know that JFS works diligently to remove barriers to mental health care. We offer telemental health counseling to people over 14 years of age, couseling to children as young at 5 years of age, and affordable counseling. We accept most major insurers, Medicare, Medicaid, and we offer counseling on a sliding-scale fee (based on household income). Do not let finances prevent you from seeking the care of a mental health professional.
To get started with counseling, fill out a client intake form and JFS will be in touch.
How to Talk with Your Kids
- Talking to your children about Israel.
- Resources from PJ Library: Talking with your children about Israel, Anti-Semitism, & more
- How to Talk to Kids About What’s Happening in Israel Right Now (article)
- This is a comprehensive guide which includes developmentally appropriate ways to handle a child’s exposure to trauma.
- Fact Sheet on parenting a child who has experienced trauma.
- A guide put out by Boston Public Schools on parenting children who have experienced violence.
- Resource Guide for helping children who have experienced community violence.
- This is an App that helps parents talk about disasters they have faced.