Jewish Family Service of Greater New Orleans is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Volunteer opportunities can be found here.
For information about our internship program, click here.
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Metairie, LA
Jewish Family Service of Greater New Orleans (JFS) is a constituent agency of the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans and a community impact partner of United Way of Southeast Louisiana. Established over 70 years ago, Jewish Family Service is a “whole person environment,” serving the residents of Greater New Orleans without regard to race, religion, disability, gender, or sexual orientation.
The Family Support Specialist will provide Home Study (HS) and Post Release Services (PRS) for Unaccompanied Children (UC). This position will report to the Regional Supervisor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct time-sensitive and thorough home study assessments for potential placements for UC, including background interviews, home assessment, and case analysis.
- Provide culturally and linguistically appropriate post-placement services and comprehensive case management for UC;
- Carry a case minimum caseload of 25 PRS cases, or at least 3 home studies with 20 PRS cases;
- Conduct brief interventions to help families address crises and manage conflict, as needed;
- Complete individualized needs assessments with UC and sponsor, and develop case plans with particular attention to culture, language, and special circumstances;
- Maintain a high standard of record-keeping according to USCRI and ORR policies and procedures.
- Provide information, education, referrals, outreach, advocacy, and support to ensure that each child receives the services they require;
- Assess the safety and appropriateness of the placement on an ongoing basis using child welfare principles and social work best practices through phone/video calls, interviews, and home visits;
- Build a network of local pro bono legal resources and service providers to facilitate access for UC and sponsors, and track individual progress;
- Coordinate and maintain communication with key stakeholders;
- Participate in regular training and communication sessions with supervisor and headquarters staff; and
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job duties indicated is not to be an exhaustive statement and other job-related duties may be assigned as required by the supervisor(s).
- Masters of Social Work, a behavioral science, or social services field, with at least two years’ progressive experience in the fields listed above; or a Bachelor’s degree in social work, a behavioral science, or social services field with a minimum of three years’ progressive experience in the fields listed above;
- Experience in child welfare, child placements, family preservation, and social service provision is desired;
- Must be skilled at writing professional, thorough assessment reports
- Must possess extensive knowledge of immigrant community local resources;
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, and ability to prioritize duties in a fast-paced environment;
- Must have a valid driver’s license, insurance, a clean driving record, and personal transportation;
- Position requires up to 50 percent long-distance travel with limited notice;
- Position is remote and the candidate must have an appropriate workspace to complete documentation, client phone calls, and video conferencing;
- Fluency in Spanish is required; proficiency in additional languages a plus;
- Candidate must demonstrate a commitment to comply with mandatory state reporting requirement for child abuse and neglect;
- Candidate must have dedication to the human rights of refugees, immigrants, asylum seekers, and displaced people;
- Candidate must pass a criminal background check that includes past history of conviction of child and sexual abuse;
- Possess or be able to obtain CPR and basic first aid certification; and
- Satisfactory completion of USCRI and ORR required trainings prior to serving clients and on an annual basis.
If you meet the minimum requirements, please send a resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com.